Things 2014 Taught Me


1/2/15


This year flew by, seeing that it's ending in a couple of hours, and many would beg to differ, but I could say that this year's probably the most eye-opening, amazing, and at the same time, terrifying years of my 13 years in existence and I'm really looking forward to more years like this one. In all honesty, I believe that I'm a slightly better person than I was when the year began, and happier, I think (or hope).

From turning thirteen, braving uncharted territory called "socializing", meeting loads of new people, and discovering myself even more, there are obviously a lot of things that I've taken away from these kickass experiences, let me share them with you here:

You don't need anyone to validate your ideas.

This is one of the very many things that I've been keeping in mind since DesignHerStory last August, and I couldn't agree with this phrase more. More often than not, when we do things, we seek for other people's approval, praise, opinions, or whatnot, and I've been doing my best to be mindful of the fact that we shouldn't do all these to please others, but to please ourselves. Let me quote Ray Bradbury for a sec:
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
It's absolutely okay to take risks.

I wouldn't be writing this post down if I didn't take risks this year, because I probably wouldn't have learned anything at all. Taking risks, I think, allows us to grow as people. I mean, where would we be now if we don't gather up the courage to try something new? We'd probably still be cavemen with no idea of what fire is, if you ask me. 

There are times that we have to learn to just jump and worry about the fall later. Like they said, if you never ask, the answer is always no. But remember, there's a difference between bravery and recklessness! 

It's not wrong to put yourself first sometimes.


This quote above has really stuck to me ever since I first read it on a lazy afternoon a few months back. And it's true. There's without a doubt nothing wrong with putting yourself and your own interest sometimes, there's nothing wrong about saying "no", hell, there's nothing wrong if you want to sleep early without having to explain yourself. On that note, yes, exams, reports, and the like are important, but you know what? You are a lot more important. :~)


Going outside is great.
this photo is sooo not from 2013 and is sooo not cheating
This one's pretty self-explanatory! I've never been a real outdoors-y person but this year just proved how basking in sunshine every so often actually provides a great energy boost (like literally, just walking my dog feels like a breath of fresh air). Hopefully, I'll be motivated to actually get out more next year (and learn how to ride a bike pls). 

There is always space for change. 

old attempt at lettering from October + last entry for #FILEDWanderADayChallenge
This has only recently come to my attention, actually. You see, I'm always so hyped about the thought of going out on a voyage of self-discovery, thinking that it would only last for a period of time, let's say around 3 months or so, then after that period, I'd just be like "Har har! I know all there is to know about myself!" Wow, Zianne.

About a year ago my mind was set on being a fashion designer because I thought that's what I really wanted to do, many said that'd probably change, to which I'd respond with complete opposition saying it won't. Then around mid-2014, I decided to try to write things like short stories, poems, and the sort, even hand lettering. These brought me a more powerful sense of fulfillment that I'm glad I didn't stick to fashion design, because that just wasn't my "forte".

---

So, that's it! I mean, that's not all I learned, I just have a lesser problem when it comes to sharing these select few. Happy New Year, everybody!
Don't live the same year 75 times. Make this one more exciting than the last.

 credits: 
base photo
going outside is great photo by Tito Cris yay

No comments:

Post a Comment